I was still pretty sore through the glutes today, though not as bad as last night for sure. I was working all day on assimilating / studying some new software. I just wanted to get in a little workout.
I got all excited earlier when I realized I’ve got another organic potato to bake, also some fresh herbs. And I could either have another meal of dal or some baby broccoli.
- I found Kelsey on BodyRock, when I was doing the HIITmax.
- Did this in 2 rounds of (50/10) rather than the (40/10) in the video, for 24min sets
- 8x High Knees, 2x Snowboarder
- Single Arm Burpee (L/R)
- Feet Elevated Full Release Pushup
- Figure 8 Swing swing 10lbs dumbbell forward, squat & swing back & behind alt legs
- Criss Cross Tuck Jump criss cross legs jack, both side & tuck
- Pull Complex – 2x Bent Over Row, Upright Row, Bicep Curl 20lbs / 30lbs
- Burpee Commandos burpee & walk down to forearm plank & back up, tuck jump
- Curtsy Side Kick R 20lbs the kick is out to the side, not forward
- Curtsy Side Kick L
- Donkey Kick, Step Kick through,
- 3x Skater, 3x Plyo Lunge
- Ninja to Crab Walk 2 sideways steps in squat
- Single Leg Deadlift L, Front Kick 20lbs
- Single Leg Deadlift R, Front Kick
- 2x Jump Squat, Run Touch, Run Back
- Side Plank, Thread the Needle, Knee R 5lbs
- Side Plank, Thread the Needle, Knee L
- Semi Circle Mountain Climbers
- Weight Drag Swing 20lbs
- 2x Spider Pushup, 2x Frog Jump spider leg comes forward & then up & back to 3-legged down dog
- Bridge Press to Pullover 20lbs on back, weights overhead & arms straight. Lift hips to bridge & lower weights overhead pull
- 2x Tricep Kickback, 2x Weight Squat Jump 20lbs
- Squat Hold Press Out, Press Out
Up wide sumo squat. Press weights straight out from chest. Bring back in & then extend out for triceps
- Goblet Squat & Press 30lbs
Some quick, easy asana
May be another ashtanga day tomorrow, though I’d have to get my ass going unusually early for my new, hippie-artist existence. I have to be ready by 11am. I need to go get some basic drawing supplies from The Hill*, plus one book. I’ll bring some new stuff over to take its place (for a couple weeks), plus Sir Henry.
My glutes are really sore today! Yesterday’s routine is a keeper for sure, one to repeat. And interestingly, when I got really sore from doing my other favorite of M’s lower body workouts, it was more in the quads. Therefore these two sets will work well together.
So ya today was going to be a yoga day, only due to circumstances, I simply canNOT get myself going chop-chop, particularly yoga which I still have associated with performance and striving, in some ways, in spite of all the work I’ve done in letting go, over the past five years or so. I was feeling really wistful for the group, that group energy that makes the practice infinitely easier. The hardest part is delivering yourself to the studio, really.
And I wonder whether I’d have made some good connections if I’d gone to Jason’s room in the Pearl, in the spring, like I was kind of thinking I wanted to do. But then I still believed a gig with Nike was going to happen in the summer, and I thought I’d wait for that. It was an expense issue.
Primary+. I left out the 4 boring poses. After Laghu Vajrasana then a weighted Hanuman & one Kapo hang. I didn’t move toward hand touch down though, since that didn’t seem so good for me last time I tried. Only 3 drop backs. I haven’t done ticks at all lately but some handstanding happens in the series poses.
1. Knee Drop Plank
2. Seated Leg Lift
3. Leg Circles (right)
4. Leg Circles (left)
5. Heel Tap Abs
6. Down Dog Hop (right)
7. Down Dog Hop (left)
8. Lunge & Reach Twist
9. Single Leg Hip Thrust
10. Alternating Knee Tap Table Top I tapped elbow to outside knee rather than hand to top of knee.
11. Pushup Elbow Tap Twist (right)
12. Pushup Elbow Tap Twist
13. Down Dog Plank Press
14. Heel Press Plank (right)
15. Heel Press Plank (left)
- 2nd round done (50/10) with skipping for 30min set
- Exercise order change was accidental. Was reading them off preview on laptop! But I made a note of it here just for accuracy.
- Knee Drop Plank on forearms.
- Leg Circles (right)
- Leg Circles (left)
- Heel Tap Abs Leg raises while tapping heels.
- Down Dog Hop (right) Draw knee in toward center, then extend leg & hop
- Down Dog Hop (left)
- Pushup Elbow Tap Twist (right)
- Pushup Elbow Tap Twist
- Lunge & Reach Twist Lunge forward deep, put opp hand on floor & twist. Alt.
- Single Leg Hip Thrust
- Alternating Knee Tap Table Top
- Heel Press Plank (right)
- Heel Press Plank (left)
- Down Dog Plank Press
This little bit of closing yoga was an excellent reminder to myself that I don’t have to do any sort of preparation for closing back bending after HIIT. If tapas is body heat, skipping does a hell of a lot more to prepare the body than just primary would (Even though I normally do a tiny bit of 2nd series back bending after primary, it’s not enough to supercede the effects of the HIIT because Kapo is still too dangerous. I can practice back bending in this different way, however, that feels good & doesn’t cause my spine to spazz out.)
- Urdhva D 1, on blocks, arms braced on wall, 1m up / 1m rest in mini savasana
- Urdhva D 2, go up for 5 breaths & then walk hands in once, 1m up / 1m rest in mini savasana
- Urdhva D 3, walk in twice & then stand
- Drop Backs, 5x
- Sirsasana – 2min
- Bhujanga – 1min
- Paschimo – 1min
- Sarvanga, Halasana, Karnapidasana, Matseyendra – 1min each
- Savasana – 1min
Did the four boring poses in primary, because I was SO stiff & sore. No kapo hangs today though. I stopped at laghu vajrasana. It was enough just to do the widest, sloppiest, most ridiculous drop backs. And indeed, I dropped myself on my knees the first time I went to stand from wheel. I was nervous I was too close to the window & that was enough to mess me up. I backed up & started over.
Bowl of sprouted grain cereal, with cranberries, slivered almonds & cashew milk & it’s time to get ready.
It’s horrifying, frankly, and it’s the global norm. There just isn’t a way to cut off someone’s head or slit their throat humanely. The fact that these beings were raised to be murdered and consumed for human pleasure makes absolutely not one fucking shred of a difference to the brutality.
23 Minute High Intensity Interval Workout: Full Body Cardio (HIIT)
- 1 round (30/50) with High Knees
1. Decline Pushups wide arms
2. Double Squat Jump alt close knee squat & wide squat
4. Reverse Hook Crunch
5. Spiderman Plank lift leg up & squeeze butt, then knee to elbow
7. Switch Lunge
9. Alt Pistol Squat
Single Leg Frogger to rack w/ 10lbs
10. Temple Tap Abs
11. Frog Hopper
12. Curtsy Lunge Kick (right)
13. Curtsy Lunge Kick (left)
14. Rotating Side Plank Crunch
15. Sumo Squat Twist stand upright
And then, because I’m still a little bored with my usual, I decided to try another couple Gymra routines. I never burn as much as videos claim though. I’m too petite. A few times I’ve tried other HIITs that have “1000 calories” in the title I got to like 500-something.
Was good. Pace was a little too fast tho. I’d rather mix in some jump rope & slow down some of the transitions so I could have better form & go a bit heavier. If I were doing this on my own I’d probably take 45min. I burned 222. Noted where I was after the first hit so I could check my burn on this one against the title claim.
Same trainer as previous set. OK so I like this lady’s routines a lot better than the one I tried first, a couple workouts ago. These two, new-for-me sets would totally be worth the trouble of detailing out, to do without the videos at my own pace.
About 10min Stretch