- The lemon rice & Sriracha fried tofu I made last night was a hit! It was a much better meal that I’d had at the seriously over-rated Pok Pok the day before. Seriously. I kept track of what I was doing for future reference. Like I said to Charlie I guess it’s good I have lapses occasionally, because they confirm to me that non vegan food isn’t generally any yummier or more satisfying. Quite often there’s a point where I’m a bit grossed out as well, like when I get a bit of fat or tendon or something. Ewww.
- Even though I didn’t even crack 300 with my burn from yesterday’s workout, I feel it in my hamstrings today. I got up early to maybe-exercise, only I won’t cause I’m going to retail. Doesn’t matter if this’ll be a 4-day week.
- 1-day per week of retail is just about perfect. I wouldn’t mind low-wage, menial work so much if it didn’t seem bound & destined to come with verbal abuse & shoddy treatment. For $10 an hour, they should be happy you show up in clean clothing & are polite to the customers, especially if a company isn’t invested enough in you to even provide a regular schedule. (New Jersey just passed the $15 minimum wage btw.) I really think I’d like grocery store work much better, because there isn’t this pressure to aggressively sell, sell, sell. Anyway, I have to leave 90-min before start time today, since it’s Friday and I can’t hitch a ride.
- I will apparently never get into biking OR driving in PDX. I could still borrow a mountain bike, but it’s a really heavy bike which is NOT good for things like climbing the massive hill. Also it’s a little too big for me, and you kind of want to feel as secure as possible if you’re going to attempt riding along a sidewalk-less, shoulder free, windy road. I also never went to get my learner’s permit for driving. The vehicle is part of the problem here as well. My sense of space is distorted. I always think I’m larger than I am, and this includes when I’m in a vehicle. Fuzzy is too damned big. Never mind that, where am I gonna drive to? I don’t earn enough money for gas & insurance, never mind paying for parking.
And not that I have any social circle or friends I see even semi-regularly here, a car would not help me with something like happy hour. There is no way I’d drive after even a single drink. I’ve been spoiled by spending adulthood in a city with real public transportation. (I don’t miss the F train after Sandy though… The subways were great, for my spot in the East Village anyway, up until maybe five years ago.)
- I’m tan! I have accomplished my summer goal. My back & arms especially are nicely browned. Yes, yes… I burned my boobs just a bit yesterday though, especially the right one. Also my butt cheeks because I was trying (successfully) to expose more of ’em. I’ve taken to laying out topless during the week, when the kids are both at work. There’s a nook of grass to the left of the house, just south of the greenhouse, that’s completely secluded.